Although many children have been affected by changes to school life, there are a number of year groups that have been particularly impacted. None more so than our Year 6 pupils. This time of year is usually full of SATs test relief, excitement, anticipation, new beginnings and closure. It is a time for saying goodbye and for growing up by moving on to 'Big school'!
Your child would usually have been busy with a leavers’ production, leavers’ books, induction days, and visit to Woodfield House etc. – all to mark the end of their time at primary school.
We are really keen to ensure that our children have the opportunity to say goodbye to Blanford Mere, so we have decided to have a 'socially distanced' leavers' gathering on Friday 17th July between 1.15pm and 2.00pm. This will be held outdoors with children and staff being socially distanced. If the weather is awful, then the assembly will take place in the hall, again observing social distancing guidelines. This will provide an opportunity for the staff to say goodbye, for the children to be together as a year group for one last time and for us to present the children with their Leavers’ Book and hoodie.
Unfortunately, we cannot have parents in attendance as this is not allowed under the current guidelines. Therefore, if you would like your child to take part parents would need to:
- Bring their child to school at 1.15pm. Mr Baker’s class will enter via the KS2 gate and Mrs Cameron’s class will enter via the Reception playground gate located on Earlswood Road.To make this possible and ensure the safety of all children please do not arrive any earlier as we will be dismissing all other children.
- Please wait at a social distance along the pathways. Your child needs to remain by your side and socially distanced from the other children. Once your child is safely on the premises, then please do not wait as we are discouraging groups from gathering.
- To book a place for your child at this gathering, you will need to log on to the school website, click on the ‘forms’ pencil, add your child’s name and answer the question with a Yes or No. If you have not booked a place for your child, then unfortunately, we will not be able to admit them to the gathering. This is to maintain safety for all children and adults on the premises.
- Complete the form online by Friday 3rd July 2020.
- Return to collect your child at 2.00pm. Mr Baker’s class will leave via the KS2 gate and Mrs Cameron’s class will leave via the Reception playground gate located on Earlswood Road. All children must be collected by an adult.
- Please leave the gates as soon as you have collected your child.
If your child is feeling unwell with any of the following symptoms below, please do not send them to the gathering.
The main symptoms of coronavirus are:
- a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
- a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)
- a loss or change to your sense of smell or taste – this means you've noticed you cannot smell or taste anything, or things smell or taste different to normal
Unfortunately, due to social distancing, children will not have the opportunity to sign t shirts, shirts or autograph books. A reminder, that, to comply with GDPR changes and to adhere to our Mobile Phone and Camera Policy, no photos can be taken by or of the children on the school premises. Children should not bring mobile phones or cameras with them.
If your child is unable to attend the event, then please contact school in September to arrange collection of the Leavers’ Book and hoodie.
We want to do this so that the children can leave us with a happy memory of their time at Blanford Mere and to give them an opportunity to say goodbye to their friends and staff.
We hope to see all of year 6 for one last time at this gathering.
Mrs Miller and Miss Stanton